Conor McGregor just left the UFC, but he’s already getting offers from the boxing world.
Following the recent rejection of the idea of meeting UFC superstar McGregor in the ring, retired world boxing champion Oscar De La Hoya suddenly revealed on Sunday that he was ready and willing to meet McGregor in a massive, multi-generational mega fight.
De La Hoya took up his challenge in the social media the day after McGregor’s resignation.
When you’re done, Mr. De La Hoya said.
@TheNotoriousMMA when you’re ready.
– Oscar de la Hoya (@OscarDeLaHoya) 8. June 2020.
McGregor vs. De La Hoya Timeline
McGregor, 31, of Dublin, Ireland, shocked everyone when he accepted De La Hoya’s challenge to a boxing match last month after the UFC’s biggest star apparently heard the 47-year-old American say he would take out McGregor in just two rounds.
Oh, come on, brother, De La Hoya told Brian Campbell from CBS Sports. Two laps. Because one thing about me, one thing about me, is that I’ve always gone for murder.
But after McGregor started fighting via social media, the boxing legend, who won ten world championship titles in six different weight categories between 1992 and 2008, completely abandoned the idea after it became clear that McGregor was serious.
I accept your challenge, Oscar de la Hoya.
– Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) 7. May 2020.
For your information: McGregor, I never challenged you. They just asked me a question and I told the truth…
– Oscar de la Hoya (@OscarDeLaHoya) 8. May 2020.
But now it looks like De La Hoya is turning around again, as a sign that he’s ready to go into the boxing ring with McGregor.
Why McGregor v. De La Hoya makes Sense
McGregor is one of only four UFC fighters who have won two division titles at the same time in different weight categories. The original UFC champion left MMA shockingly for the weekend, but he may have been lured into the boxing ring.
Finally, McGregor’s main problems had to do with the way his career progressed, especially the way he thought he was being treated by KFA officials.
Although there are other, bigger and more modern boxing stars that might make more sense, De La Hoya was the largest boxing magnet of his generation. In fact, the name of De La Oya is still present in many of the best-selling PPV boxing events of all time.
After his retirement, De La Oya became one of the most important promoters of boxing and worked for Saul Canelo Alvarez and Ryan Garcia, among others.
But now it seems that the boxing legend wants to return to the ring and let this fight against McGregor take place.
De la Hoya’s prognosis remains unchanged for the years.
De La Hoya (39-6, 30 KO) held McGregor for two laps.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. needed 10 shots to stop the UFC star in August 2017, but De La Hoya insisted Mayweather beat McGregor.
However, De La Hoya hasn’t seen a real fight since losing Manny Pacquiao in the eighth round in 2008.
Although McGregor did not achieve the same results as professional boxer De La Hoya, the 31-year-old is one of the best fighters in the world and the most dangerous attacker in MMA.
Besides, McGregor is 16 years younger than De La Hoy.
READ NOW: Shocking announcement from Conor McGregor – the biggest blow for the UFC.
Tweet: @ Kelsey_McCarson
YouTube: A real conversation with Kelsey and Rachel.